Director of Advising
The University of Wisconsin-Madison, College of Engineering, Student Affairs, request applications for a Director of Advising. This position provides leadership and strategic direction and oversees day-to-day operations of the College of Engineering's (CoE) undergraduate academic advising services which is comprised of 12-15 student services staff. The CoE offers 12 engineering degree programs and has over 4500 undergraduates. The director reports to the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Affairs.
Master’s degree required, preferably in engineering, social science, physical/natural sciences, higher education or related field.
* Seven years direct experience in college academic advising, academic affairs, student services, academic program management, counselling, career development, project management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience working with students interested in STEM at college level.
* Proven ability to lead, supervise, and manage a team with a customer service focus.
* Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with engineering faculty, staff and the wider campus community.
* Demonstrated ability to manage programmatic activities and day-to-day office operations, including setting expectations and goals for the office.
* Experience utilizing quantitative and qualitative data to evaluate program effectiveness and guide program development.
* Demonstrate a high degree of cultural sensitivity and awareness in working with students from diverse backgrounds, such as first generation, underrepresented, transfer, and other targeted populations.
* Proven experience working collaboratively and effectively with students, faculty and staff from a variety of racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively within and for a diverse community in a responsive, sensitive and caring manner.
*Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and organizational skills.
* Experience assessing performance of an advising function.
* Work with engineering students, including transfer and non-traditional students.
* Understanding of the engineering profession and engineering curricula, and ability to relate to engineering undergraduates and prospective students.
* Experience with budget functions associated with academic advising.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by August 20, 2017.
How to apply: You can apply for this position online at http://jobs.hr.wisc.edu/cw/en-us/job/495750/director-of-advising