Lead the Custodial & Grounds Services department in providing custodial services, pest management, grounds maintenance, and landscape services focused on excellent customer service and supporting a safe, functional, and attractive campus environment. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Operations.
Who We Are
Serving the U-M community, Custodial & Grounds Services are the stewards of the buildings and grounds that make the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan unique. Our employees are dedicated to the preservation of the academic and hospital campuses and pride themselves in giving exceptional customer service while conserving, enhancing and maintaining more than 26 million square feet of property.
- Plan, evaluate, and direct departmental operational activities and priorities by providing strategic leadership and operational expertise to a staff of approximately 500 staff members as well as the university community as a whole
- Advance positive organizational efforts which promote a respectful, collaborative, solutions-based, and proactive culture
- Ensure that work functions are effectively structured and work procedures are in place to deliver high quality and efficient programs and services
- Champion goals of diversity, equity and inclusion in alignment with organizational strategic plan and act as an advocate for staff
- Manage an operational budget of nearly $40 million and determine appropriate staffing / resource allocations to meet institutional service level expectations
- Implement recruitment strategies, job training, performance evaluation, career development, and employee engagement activities to support a highly professional, qualified and motivated workforce
- Participate and assist in preparing for labor/management meetings and collective bargaining for applicable employee groups, including the development of proposals and ideas to further organizational goals
- Continually improve service delivery processes by capturing and analyzing operations data, including customer satisfaction indicators, for productivity and service improvements
- Provide excellent customer service to the university community by demonstrating collaboration and ensuring effective communication processes are developed and maintained, including feedback mechanisms
- Lead, supervise and enforce effective safety procedures, support safe working conditions, and facilitate communication and training to prevent injuries and address safety concerns and risks
- Support University sustainability initiatives and identify new opportunities throughout the department and campus
- Bachelor’s degree in business, facility management, public health, engineering or related discipline
- Ten years progressively responsible professional experience in an administrative or management capacity
- Experience with operations, process improvement methods, root cause analysis, and strategic planning
- Demonstrated experience in managing department level budgets
- Demonstrated competency in motivating employees, maintaining excellent morale, performance management, and managing employee and operational productivity
- Experience working within a union environment
- Excellent communication skills, ability to articulate ideas and processes and give clear direction and guidance both orally and in writing
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students? richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.