Residence Life Center On-Call Cook (PT, 12 months)
Opening Date: June 19, 2019
Review Date: Extended to August 23, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: Lummi Main Campus
SCOPE OF WORK
The Cook is responsible for meal preparation and the service of meals to the college students, staff, and other community members. This position will be responsible for cleanup and following safety standards within an institutional setting.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares, cooks, and serves meals as scheduled at the NWIC Residence Life Center cafeteria, and on campus as requested for meetings and events.
- Inventories and stocks food items as necessary.
- Works in all phases of food preparation and service.
- Maintains standard techniques of quantity food preparation utilized in the mixing, cooking, baking, and serving of complete meals in an institutional environment.
- Inspects food received from suppliers and placed in storage to ensure quality.
- Monitors conformance with all health and safety regulations.
- Oversees and participates in kitchen and cafeteria clean up, maintenance, set-up and movement of equipment, as necessary.
- Effectively interact with all members of the public who utilize the RLC Cafeteria, including college students, staff and administrators, and vendors. On occasion, may communicate with representatives from health/safety regulatory agencies, community organizations and outside government organizations.
- Maintain professional work relationships.
- Advertise a monthly menu by email and distribute.
- Update and maintain records/logs related to food and equipment temperature.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory duties.
QUALIFICATIONS to perform the position successfully:
- High School Diploma or GED is required;
- Six (6) months experience in quantity food preparation and cooking of complete meals in an institutional, commercial, military, or similar establishment;
- Knowledge of applicable laws, rules, guidelines, and regulations related to nutrition, meal planning, food preparation and kitchen safety; and
- Ability to prepare large quantities of food and able to prepare and serve meals on time are all required.
- Prior experience in providing technical direction, oversight, and/or supervision of kitchen staff is preferred.
- Experience working with a tribal college and/or a tribal community.
- Experience working in a college setting and in a team environment.
- Experience with and sensitivity to Native American people and cultural customs.
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are available online at www.nwic.edu/jobs or may be requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278