Montana State University
Announcement Number: STAFF - VA - 19390
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Marianne Brough at 406-994-6863 or
Classification Title: Admin Assoc Mgr
Working Title: Assistant Director
Brief Position Overview
The Assistant Director of the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) supports the student-centered leadership of co-curricular programming on campus.
Position Number: 4M0640
Division: Division of Student Success
Appointment Type: Classified
Contract Term: Fiscal Year
If other, specify From date:
If other, specify End date:
Union Affiliation: Exempt from Collective Bargaining
Benefits Eligible: Eligible
$16.716 - $20.895 per hour; commensurate with experience, education and qualifications . Rate of pay will be determined by the staff compensation plan. For questions contact email@example.com.
Contract Type: Classified Salary
If other, please specify:
Recruitment Type: Open
The Office of Student Engagement (OSE) provides and facilitates student engagement opportunities for MSU students through a variety of programs, events, services, and activities. The OSE is searching for a detail-oriented, experienced student-affairs professional to join our leadership team. We are THE HUB for students interested in connecting with their fellow Bobcats through student government, student organizations (clubs), programs and events, and service to the community. The purpose of this position is to serve as a program manager for the OSE. Primary responsibilities will include supervising staff and graduate assistants, advising students, overseeing OSE programs and services. This position will report to the Director of the Office of Student Engagement. Responsibilities will include program assessment and reporting, ensuring compliance, managing risk, interpreting and enforcing policy, and managing budgets and finances. This position is responsible for all state funding and expenditures in OSE programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervise 3 staff members, 2 graduate assistants, and advise 3+ student directors; manage personnel functions including recruitment, training, professional development, performance evaluation and supervision of assigned staff.
• Responsible for developing and facilitating strategic, short-term, and long-term plans to provide new and/or improved campus engagement opportunities and leadership experiences for students.
• Manage all program resources to develop and implement a comprehensive set of campus activities to engage students with their peers, staff, faculty, and members of the community.
• Maintain assessments, statistics, and reports. Analyze data, evaluate programs, and manage legal and university policy compliance.
• Interpret, communicate, and maintain compliance with fiscal policies and procedures. Manage and design financial spreadsheets, databases, and related reports.
• Oversee Student organization management including budget management, organizational training development, and program planning.
• Develop strong advisory relationships with leaders and staff/faculty advisers of student organizations. Utilize strong knowledge of student development theory and leadership development theory to inform advising practices and the development of services offered to students.
• Manage, track, and report on student organization travel including compliance with university student travel policies
• Work collaboratively with a variety of University departments, community stakeholders, and student interest groups.
• Maintain a strong degree of independence with work responsibilities and communicate appropriate and relevant information with team and the OSE Director.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
1. Minimum Bachelors degree required in Education/Student Affairs, Counseling, Public Administration or similar field/or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
2. Progressive professional experience supervising staff and managing departmental budgets
3. Progressive experience working with students.
4. Experience creating, interpreting, and enforcing institutional policy and legal compliance
5. Knowledge of advanced accounting, budgeting, and fiscal management principles, practices, and procedures, including experience with institutional, University, State, and Federal regulations governing record keeping and fiscal management
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
1. Master’s Degree preferred in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, Public Administration, or similar field.
The Successful Candidate Will:
• Ability to independently exercise good judgement and make strategic and tactical decisions which align with the values and mission of MSU.
• Demonstrate strong organization, planning, analytic, problem solving, and interpersonal communication skills in both writing and verbal formats.
• Strong situational, diplomatic leadership skills.
• Excellent time management, organizational, and follow through skills.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a fast-paced team with a variety of stakeholders in order to promote collaboration, good will, and represent the institution in a professional manner.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and engagement.
Position Special Requirements/Additional Information:
• Occasional evenings and weekend events; requires some schedule flexibility.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Montana State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• Carry 20 lbs, transport supplies to and from event venues
• Some events hosted outdoors, must be able to work in inclement weather conditions on occasion.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This position has supervisory duties?
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: Upon successful completion of a search.
Position End Date (if temporary):
Applications will be:
Screening of applications will begin on July 26th, 2019; however, applications will continue to be accepted until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
Montana State University values diverse perspectives and is committed to continually supporting, promoting and building an inclusive and culturally diverse campus environment. MSU recognizes the importance of work-life integration and strives to be responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Montana State University is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran’s status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. To request an accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, PO Box 172520, Montana State University, Bozeman MT 59717-2520; 406-994-3651; firstname.lastname@example.org .
In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference please complete the veteran’s preference information located in the Demographics section of your profile.
MSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Website: http://www.montana.edu/hr/disability_accommodation/complaints_grievances.html.
1. Cover Letter addressing Each of the Required and Preferred Qualifications
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1524479