Job Title: GIS Technician
Reports To: GEO:SMART Project Director
Status: Full-time/ Regular/ Hourly
Salary: $17.41 an hour
SUMMARY: The GIS Technician is responsible for performing complex GIS support functions that could include troubleshooting and repairing hardware and software problems; developing simple and complex mapping samples; training and supporting GIS users; monitoring and maintaining maps; creating procedural documentation; and serving as a mentor to students in the GEO:SMART project. The technician will support the T-So:son (Our Core Values) including T-Wohocudadag – Our Beliefs, T-Apedag – Our Well-Being, T-Pi:k Elida – Our Deepest Respect and I-We:mta – Working Together.
- Oversees the day-by-day operations of GIS units and Esri and related GIS software;
- Installs, maintains and repairs GIS components to ensure the equipment is operating at peak efficiency. Relies on knowledge and professional discretion to achieve goals;
- Communicates with TOCC’s IT staff and the GEO:SMART IT Technician, operating the GIS equipment in conjunction with TOCC’s technology infrastructure;
- Makes recommendations for products and service enhancements, monitors device security, maintains systems and troubleshoots a variety of issues;
- Assists end users in resolving hardware and software issues by fielding telephone calls and emails, replying promptly, diagnosing problems, and performing troubleshooting activities;
- Documents, tracks and monitors the problem to facilitate a timely resolution;
- Relies on established guidelines and instructions to perform daily job functions;
- Interacts with staff and students to fulfill project needs related to GIS, document communication and resolve issues;
- Relies on specialized knowledge and professional discretion to achieve goals;
- Performs other duties of similar nature or level.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in computer science, information technology, web design, programming, or related field; and related two to four years of IT experience.
Additional Consideration May Be Given To Individuals with the Following Qualifications:
- Ability to speak and understand O’odham and/or Spanish.
- Knowledge and understanding in the history and contemporary issues facing Native peoples.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s license with no DUI's or major traffic offenses within the past year.
- Mapping in ArcGIS;
- Other GIS tools and processes;
- Geography fundamentals;
- Map design principles;
- Research methods;
- Customer service principles;
- Applicable hardware and software.
- Analyzing problems and recommending appropriate solutions;
- Communicating technical information to a non-technical audience;
- Testing and debugging applications;
- Providing customer service;
- Designing maps;
- Conducting research;
- Troubleshooting technological problems;
- Programming applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, and the public sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
TOCC is a tribal college located on the Tohono O’odham Nation, 60 miles west of Tucson. The GIS Technician will work closely with members of the Tohono O’odham Nation within a multicultural setting.
The College offers a comprehensive benefit package and 401(k).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are available on line at www.tocc.edu. Interested applicants must submit a completed TOCC application for employment, resume, related degrees, transcripts, certificates, a list of three references (name, position, organization and work phone numbers), and three (3) letters of recommendation dated within the past twelve months. If claiming Indian Preference under Tohono O’odham Ordinance 01-85, submit a copy of certification or enrollment card and/ or if claiming Veteran Preference, submit a copy of the DD214 form to:
TOHONO O’ODHAM COMMUNITY COLLEGE
ATTENTION: HUMAN RESOURCES
P.O. BOX 3129
SELLS, AZ 85634
VOICE (520) 383-0049
FAX (520) 383-0029
"This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer."