Opening Date: 11/21/2023 Closing Date: Until Filled
Position Title: Administrative Assistant FLSA Status: Hourly
Department: Academics Full-Time – up to 40 hours a week
Reports To: V.P. of Teaching & Learning Schedule: M -F 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Rate of pay: $15.00-$18.00/hour
Organization and Location:
The position is located at Little Priest Tribal College (LPTC) in Winnebago, Nebraska.
Under the supervision of the V.P. of Teaching & Learning, the incumbent is responsible for providing administrative support to the office of the Vice President of Teaching & Learning, and to the academic department. The Assistant to the V.P. of Teaching & Learning also supports their peers offering guidance and modeling leadership. This is a full-time position and is considered nonexempt under FLSA. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each function satisfactorily.
REQUIRED Qualifications and Competencies:
· Associate Degree is required
· Computer literacy is required; proficient with Microsoft Suite
· Must possess and be able to maintain a valid operator’s license with an acceptable driving record to be an approved driver
· Must be able to meet and maintain all organizational, local, state, tribal, and federal licensing and training requirements associated with this position
· Capable of coordinating efforts and collaborating with a variety of individuals having conflicting agendas and diverse opinions
· Ability to work independently with minimal guidance but supportive supervision, and as part of a team
· Ability to establish priorities and manage multiple activities to meet deadlines
· Able to complete assignments/tasks with attention to detail and accuracy
· Strong communication skills (oral, written, and presentation if applicable)
· Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility to work effectively with administration, faculty, staff, students, and the public
· The ability to exercise tact and handle information that is confidential, sensitive, or controversial
· Must be customer-focused and have a genuine interest in supporting higher education
PREFERRED Qualifications and Competencies:
· 2-3 years of administrative support
· Able to follow instructions regarding assigned tasks
· Experience working in tribal organizations, in Native American communities, for a Tribal College or University.
· General Knowledge of higher education policies, practices, and procedures
· Transferable work experiences
· Software and/or technological proficiency as it relates to the position
· Strong organizational habits
· Leadership in problem-solving and decision making
Core Function: Provide Administrative Support to the Office of the V.P. of Teaching & Learning and to the department
· Assist the V.P. of Teaching & Learning by preparing documents and reports, coordinating meetings, assisting in the management of due dates, assisting with planning and logistics of faculty professional development, maintaining academic schedules and calendars, and departmental development.
· Assist the V.P. of Teaching & Learning with the administration of the department, including but not limited to; preparing and proofing correspondence, helping to ensure that college administrative deadlines are met, helping to coordinate class scheduling, assisting with the certification of majors, establishing databases as needed, coordinating mailings, assuring adherence to standards, maintaining department’s files, assisting with pre-registration, and creating forms for intradepartmental use.
· Provides administrative support to an academic teaching department by providing reception services, scheduling appointments, meetings, and travel, filing, researching files and records, and preparing and proofreading correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
· Assists faculty by answering questions and providing information, locating desired information and materials, correspondence, and other general administrative duties.
· Assists students by determining who can best provide the information needed by the student, providing basic and initial assistance to students with questions about classes, registration, permissions, etc. using established guidelines (information in course catalogs, departmental and college documents, and established policies and procedures), and assigning advisors.
· Supports the work of the department by maintaining an inventory of office supplies.
· Helps to organize and conduct departmental events as directed and assist with the event as it occurs.
· Supports the administrative business functions of the department by creating brochures and newsletters, organizing the faculty evaluation process, maintaining and updating the departmental website or databases, preparing personnel action forms and position authorizations as directed, scheduling the use of classrooms, department facilities, and maintaining the security of classrooms, labs, equipment, and records.
· Assist with scanning, filing, and other office tasks.
· Prepare reports, memos, letters, and other documents using word processing, spreadsheets, and database programs.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensures the College’s compliance with the Higher Learning Commission and other regulatory agencies Ensure that all organizational, local, Tribal, state, and federal program guidelines are being met and followed.
· Maintain a clean and safe environment.
· Attend required and assigned staff meetings and training.
· Contribute to team effort by accomplishing assigned tasks outside of the home department, and participating on cross-functional teams.
· Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the College.
· Cultivate an organizational culture of ethical behavior, positivity, professionalism, employee empowerment, satisfaction, productivity, retention, recognition, customer service, team building, communication, collaboration, trust, and participatory decision-making.
· All LPTC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents or injuries.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position scheduled for 40 hours. General work hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 – 5:00 p.m. but can vary as needed to perform the duties assigned.
To Apply: Applicants can submit a cover letter, resume, college transcripts, and a letter of reference to Human Resources, P.O. Box 270, Winnebago, NE 68071, or email to email@example.com Applicants may also go to https://www.littlepriest.edu/human-resources-office/ and complete the online application. *Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact LPTC through the Federal Relay System at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
At LPTC, we are committed to hiring a workforce that is as diverse and inclusive as the people and communities we serve. We are an equal-opportunity employer. Employment practices are free of discrimination. Indian preference applies. All other applicants have equal opportunities of employment irrespective of their race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. LPTC will uphold these principles and ensure that this philosophy is administered appropriately. Arrangements for reasonable accommodations required by disabilities can be made by contacting the Human Resources office.