Closing Date: Until Filled
POSITION TITLE: Atmospheric and Climate Science Instructor
LOCATION: Sitting Bull College
Ft. Yates, ND
SALARY: Faculty, PhD
SUPERVISION: Academic Dean
SUMMARY OF WORK:
This person will teach classes in Environmental Science at Sitting Bull College, especially in the
area of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science. This person will mentor and advise students in
the SBC Environmental Science degree programs. This person will help develop, maintain and
promote the FIARE monitoring station, which is funded by NASA. FIARE will provide research
opportunities for BS and MS students using data derived from FIARE. FIARE can be previewed
at the Sitting Bull College website at sittingbull.edu/fiare.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepare and teach classes in Environmental Science in Meteorology and Atmospheric
Science and in closely associated scientific fields.
2. Promote and recruit students for the BS and MS degree programs in Environmental
3. Maintain various reports, such as attendance, grades, and other reports as required by
4. Evaluate student performance and assign appropriate grades. Participate in student
5. Update and maintain curriculum and course syllabi as needed.
6. Complete yearly program assessments.
7. Mentor and advise students in the BS and MS degree programs in Environmental
Science. Maintain an advisee file for each student.
8. Serve as lead for Climate science related research activities at the SBC Prairie
Ecosystems Research Center (PERC), an NSF-TCUP-TEA CENTER funded center
of research excellence.
9. Plan and coordinate the establishment of a successful climate science laboratory at
SBC. Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment for the climate science lab.
10. Develop appropriate laboratory modules and activities in the area of climate science
to be used as training materials for student researchers, laboratory technicians, and the
11. Mentor students in developing and completing undergraduate and graduate research
projects, specifically in the area of climate science.
12. Must communicate effectively with others.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
14. Provide friendly, helpful customer service to students, clients and visitors.
15. Attend all scheduled college functions and meetings as required.
16. Serve on assigned SBC committees.
17. Promote and participate in student and community activities.
18. Promote and recruit students for Sitting Bull College.
1. PhD in Atmospheric Science preferred. The position can be available as a PostDoctoral position or for graduate students in Atmospheric Science who are at the
dissertation stage of their degree program and are willing to teach half time.
2. Experience teaching courses in Atmospheric Science preferred or willingness to teach
these classes and classes in associated subject areas.
3. A willingness to work with federal and tribal programs.
4. Good organizational and communication skills.
5. Willingness to teach at least one evening class per week.
New hires are subject to Tribal background check and pre-employment drug/alcohol
testing. Must be drug and alcohol free. AA * EEO * M * F * V Employer
Please submit: Completed Standing Rock Public Transportation application, official
transcripts (please white out birth date and social security number), 3 current reference
letters (1 from immediate supervisor), Certificate of Indian blood (please white out photo,
birth date, social security number), and Veterans Status to:
Personnel Office Sitting Bull College 9299 HWY 24 Fort Yates, ND 58538 (701)854-8004
Any applicant not having the above documents enclosed will not be considered