Director of Executive Communications
University of Colorado Denver
Director of Executive Communications - 29978 University Staff Description
University of Colorado | CU Denver
Director of Executive Communications
Position #00785802 - Requisition #29978
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
CU Denver: https://www.ucdenver.edu/coronavirus
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
CU Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
University Communications has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Executive Communications position.
The University of Colorado Denver is the state's premier public urban research university and equity-serving institution. Globally connected and locally invested, CU Denver partners with future-focused learners and communities to design accessible, relevant, transformative educational experiences for every stage of life and career. Across eight schools and colleges in the heart of downtown Denver, our leading faculty inspires and works alongside students to solve complex challenges through boundary-breaking innovation and impactful research and creative work. As part of the state's largest university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with 2,000 employees and annual economic impact of more than $800 million. For more information, visit http://www.ucdenver.edu
The Director of Executive Communications provides communications counsel and support to CU Denver leadership to advance institutional priorities among diverse and numerous audiences. This position works directly with the CU Denver Vice Chancellor for Communications (and University Communications leadership team) and the Chancellor to develop strategic communications and serves as a resource for other members of the Chancellor's executive leadership team as needed. The director is a creative and experienced leader with a record of accomplishment working with senior executives to hone their messaging and express their vision to a variety of audiences. The director captures and expresses the Chancellor's unique voice in a way that tells the university's story and advances the appreciation and understanding of its mission, values, priorities, goals and accomplishments.
The position reports to the Executive Director of Integrated Communications and Marketing and Chief of Staff in University Communications with a dotted line to the Vice Chancellor for Communications. Other key working relationships are with the Vice Chancellor for Communications, Chief of Staff in the Chancellor's Office, Manager of Chancellor Office Operations, Director of Communications, and the Professional Assistant to the Chancellor.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Writes and edits the Chancellor's speeches, scripts, written communiques, letters, and presentations in partnership with the Director of Communications.
• Works with the Chancellor and other members of the university leadership team, as needed, to determine the messages essential to convey and successfully implement the university's strategic plan and promote its highest priorities.
• Creates, implements, maintains, and measures a strategic multimedia communications plan and program for the Chancellor.
• Serves as the lead advisor on all critical communications coming out of the Office of the Chancellor.
• Recommends commentary from the Chancellor on trending topics to various audiences, as warranted, to help position the university as a thought leader.
• Recommends and tracks progress of campus metrics and Chancellor's goals, and coordinates the development of reports when requested.
• Oversees the Chancellor's social media strategy, execution, and measurement, providing clear direction and expectations for the Director of Social Media.
• Develops and implements communications plans for key initiatives and special projects related to executive leadership.
• Keeps abreast of trends in the local community, relevant industry verticals, and in higher education locally and nationally to inform messaging and future strategy.
• Liaises regularly with other members of University Communications to ensure alignment of Chancellor's messaging with that of the overall university.
• Manages external vendors contributing to the Chancellor's strategic communications program.
• Coordinates with departments and entities requesting presence of the Chancellor at events to ensure executive communications align with requesting entity's needs while advancing university priorities.
• Conducts appropriate background research to provide the Chancellor with context for remarks.
• Edits the work of others on campus who are preparing materials or quotations to go out under the Chancellor's name.
• Oversees writing on special projects, including award nominations and commendations, brochures, and websites for university-wide initiatives.
• Oversees strategy and management of Chancellor and senior leadership websites and Chancellor's key initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree in related field.
• 7 years of professional experience in communications, journalism, writing, or related field.
• Experience writing for senior-level executives including speeches, correspondence, talking points.
• Experience managing social media and web strategy and content.
Conditions of Employment: This position is required to report on-site 5 days/week.
Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
• 10+ years of professional experience in communications, journalism, writing, or related field.
• Previous experience in a higher education environment, politics, government, or related field.
• Prior management experience.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• A thoughtful listener, strategic thinker, and strong communicator with unquestionable integrity; poised under pressure and able to maintain a sense of humor in stressful, demanding situations.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
• Outstanding customer service skills.
• Exceptional project management/organization skills with detail orientation and the ability and inclination to advance complex projects and solve problems collaboratively and completely from inception through execution.
• Ability to translate complex ideas and strategies into clear, compelling, and cohesive communications.
• Ability to help senior leaders convey what is important to them and to the university.
• Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
• Demonstrated ability to write for senior-level executives.
• Familiarity and comfort in a highly collaborative work environment.
• Ability to multi-task and be adaptive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Discretion and confidentiality in addressing sensitive and high-profile issues affecting the university's public image.
• Ability to anticipate executive communications issues and proactively work to address them.
• Deep knowledge and experience in executive social media strategy and persona development.
• Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in overall digital strategies and execution for executives.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $96,473 to $116,000.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community, and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by May 29th, 2023. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Required Application Materials:
To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach:
• A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
• A current CV/resume
• List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
• Additional Attachments
Questions should be directed to: Tawnya Boulier, mailto:email@example.com
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV Job Category
: Communication Primary Location
: Denver Department: U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS - 30002 - ADM VC Comm Denver Schedule
: Full-time Posting Date
: May 15, 2023 Unposting Date
: Ongoing Position Number: 00785802
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4191287
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.