UC San Diego
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION PROGRAMS AND OPERATIONS COORDINATOR
Hiring Pay Scale: $65,563.20 - $69,989.76 / Year
Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego is one of the most important centers for global earth science research and education in the world. Scripps scientists work to understand and protect the planet by investigating our oceans, Earth, and atmosphere to find solutions to our greatest environmental challenges. Scripps leads research in climate change impacts and adaptation, resilience to hazards, conservation and biodiversity, oceans and human health, national security, and in developing innovative technology to observe the planet.
Working in collaboration with the Director of Diversity Initiatives, the Programs and Operations Coordinator will provide administrative and programmatic support to the Scripps Office for Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (Scripps EDI).
Responsible for the day-to-day operations, office/facilities management, and program/event coordination and logistics for Scripps EDI programs and initiatives. Collaborates with the Director of Diversity Initiatives, the Coordinator analyzes, interprets, and implements policies and procedures for the operations of Scripps EDI Programs. Serves as a point of contact and general liaison, and provides support appropriate to address the wide range of diverse constituents that come in contact with the Scripps EDI Office. Assists in a wide range of assignments associated with the gathering, reviewing, coordinating, summarizing and reporting of sensitive data on current and prospective faculty, staff and students, such as ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and disability.
Under direction, implements programs and initiatives to improve outcomes related to the recruitment, development, enrichment, inclusion, retention, and campus experience of Scripps students, staff and faculty, with a particular emphasis on engaging underrepresented populations. Core responsibilities include identifying, implementing, and assessing programs and initiatives designed to increase participation of underrepresented groups in Scripps education, outreach, professional development, community-building and other EDI-related activities. In conjunction with the Director of Diversity Initiatives and the Community Engagement Fellows, the Coordinator implements and supports long-range planning and outreach that increases Scripps community engagement with EDI programs and initiatives. Provides essential assessment and analysis of the overall effectiveness of both continuing and first-time programming.
Serves as the liaison with the various functional units within Scripps Administration (IT, Facilities, Staff HR, Contracts & Grants, SIO Dept, Events, Communications) to ensure the programmatic needs of the Scripps EDI Office are met. Assists in the recruitment, selection and oversight of the Scripps Community Engagement Fellows program. Performs, as needed, the processing of a variety of fiscal transactions including travel, payments, purchasing, and other transactions using MyEvents, MyPayments, MyTravel, Express Card purchases, etc for the Scripps EDI Office. With the support of Scripps IT and Communications, develops and maintains EDI-related communications (website, social media, correspondence), and as needed may be assigned projects of a highly confidential and sensitive nature.
• Graduating from a 4 year college/university with a relevant bachelor's degree and/or equivalent combination of education, experience, and skills to perform the job functions.
• Demonstrated skill and ability to analyze, plan, develop, coordinate, and implement office systems to ensure efficient operation. Skill in operating standard office equipment such as fax, copy machine, and telephone systems.
• Proven experience with successful event planning and organization of special events, including familiarity with general accepted practices of the industry. Proven skills to handle logistics of a wide variety of special events including meetings, staff appreciation socials, lectures, seminars, and workshops.
• Advanced skills with a wide range of computer software, including calendar, spreadsheet, word processing, and database applications.
Experience with project management and demonstrated experience working on projects from conceptualization to completion.
• Ability to understand and synthesize diverse ideas, perspectives, data and approaches to address complex problems. With a thorough assessment of challenges and opportunities, develops strategic approaches to address challenges and aligns partners and resources for collaborative design and implementation.
• Excellent customer service skills. Ability to communicate in a helpful, pleasant, and informative manner to a wide variety of people, both in person and on the phone. Ability to handle customer service needs.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with emphasis on working with students, staff, and faculty from diverse racial, cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Proven ability to compose, draft, and edit correspondence, reports, notices, and announcements.
• General knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion including an understanding of the historical and social context of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and of the intersections of identities including but not limited to: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and SES.
• Experience with complex and confidential calendaring, public relations, development, special projects, and community relations in a fast paced environment.
• General experience and knowledge of program evaluation and statistical analysis to draft evaluation reports.
• Advanced mathematical skill sufficient to understand and develop project budgets, track expenses, and utilize complex spreadsheets.
• Knowledge of general travel arrangement principles and procedures, including flight, hotel, ground transportation.
• Experience in providing day-to-day work direction to students; ability to oversee and direct the work of multiple student employees.
• Ability to draft executive summaries, reports, and presentations with findings, depending on the issue/program and audience.
• Familiar with administration and use of various virtual and hybrid meeting platforms for webinars, meetings, and large gatherings including Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, Facebook Live, YouTube, etc.
• Familiar with Qualtrics, Google forms, Survey Monkey, Excel, Data Dashboards, Tableau, and other tools to collect, analyze, and present quantitative and qualitative data.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on background check results.* Must have a valid driver's license.
• Occasional overtime may be required.
• Must be willing to work weekends and evenings as needed.
• Must be willing and able to travel.
• Must be able to push, pull, lift > 50lbs in order to move tables, chairs, and other event equipment as needed.
• Duties may require direct contact with children (defined as individuals under the age of 18); completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) form will be required.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community - https://ucsd.edu/about/principles.html.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html