Director of Physical Security
Job no: 531276
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Department: University of Oregon Police Department
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $109,000 - $120,000/year
Compensation Band: OS-OA10-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
March 17, 2023; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin March 17, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. To apply for this position please https://www.spelmanandjohnson.com/position/director-of-physical-security/, click on the Apply button, complete the brief application process, and upload your resume and position-specific cover letter. Nominations for this position may be emailed to J. Scott Derrick at mailto:email@example.com. Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895 or email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nestled in the lush Willamette Valley, within an easy drive to the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountains, the University of Oregon (UO) is renowned for its research prowess and commitment to teaching. Founded in 1876, UO enrolls 23,202 students from all fifty states and 94 countries. Designated as a Tier 1 national public research university comprised of nine schools and colleges offering more than 300 undergraduate programs, the University of Oregon is one of just two institutions in the Pacific Northwest selected for membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities. US News & World Report ranks the UO among its top 100 National Universities and Oregon's #1 public university.
The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD), part of the Division of Safety and Risk Services (SRS), is a community-oriented, trust-based policing agency. UOPD plays an integral role in the University community by providing a safe, secure, and welcoming environment, with a mission to foster a climate that encourages a free, open, and civil exchange of ideas in support of the educational, research, and public service goals of the institution. UOPD recognizes and promotes the value of multiculturalism and inclusiveness consistent with a spirit of responsible citizenship within an international community.
Reporting to the Chief of Police and serving as an integral part of the UOPD leadership team, the Director of Physical Security provides strategic and operational leadership to the Office of Physical Security and oversees the comprehensive physical security policies, design standards, and plans for all locations owned and operated by the University. The Director administers the daily operations and fosters the further development and evolution of a risk-based campus security program; establishes work standards and operational strategies; and plans and implements the staffing and scheduling of events for the department's Community Service Officers. The Director manages the protection of critical infrastructure, facilities, intellectual property, physical assets, and the research enterprise; works closely with the academic, research, housing, administration, and athletic communities to mitigate their exposure to security risks; and collaborates with the SRS units (Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management & Continuity, Risk Management & Insurance) and other campus partners in developing integrated campus security strategies.
The Director of Physical Security supervises, evaluates, directs, and provides professional development opportunities for a professional staff of 23 and oversees an annual budget of approximately $3 million.
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience in law enforcement, campus-based security (e.g., higher education, corporate, medical) and/or higher education facilities.
• Five years of progressive related security experience or law enforcement equal in scope to the requirements and duties of the position.
• Five years of supervisory experience within a law enforcement or security setting.
• Adult CPR with First Aid and Automatic External Defibrillation (AED) certification required within 60-days of employment.
• Certified Protection Professional (CPP) certification or similar security certification highly desirable, but not required at the time of employment.
• Must obtain CPP within 48-months of employment.
• Consistently demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity and emotional maturity and ethics.
• Proven ability to effectively, continuously and discretely work with confidential and potentially sensitive information.
• Commitment to diversity and to working with persons from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Strong coalition-building skills capable of developing collaborative relationships with diverse external and internal cohorts.
• Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing, effectively presenting ideas and providing plans and procedures in a clear and concise manner to internal customers, team members and senior leadership.
• Master's degree
• NCS4 Certified Sport Security Professional
• ASIS Certified Protection Professional
• Seven (7) years of related security experience or law enforcement equal in scope to the requirements and duties of this position.
• Seven (7) years of supervisory experience within a security or law enforcement setting. This may include experience with hiring practices, providing performance appraisals and managing schedules.
• Experience in developing and implementing a risk-based security program.
• Experience in applying best practices for safety and security programs, particularly those outlined in the ASIS Chief Security Officer guidelines.
• Experience leading a results-focused team of security personnel.
• Experience in administering and financial management of enterprise-wide physical security systems including, but not limited to: access control, video surveillance, alarms systems and panic buttons.
• Experience in directing facilities security personnel and programming preferably in an academic setting that included large athletic venues, museums, libraries and research units.
• Experience in developing and implementing strategic initiatives, both forward looking and in response to emerging trends.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at mailto:email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the http://studentlife.uoregon.edu/nondiscrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.
Advertised: 20 Feb 2023 Pacific Standard Time
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to WhatsAppWhatsApp
WhatsAppShare to LinkedInShare to LinkedInLinkedIn
LinkedInShare to Email AppShare to Email AppEmail App
Email AppShare to Copy LinkShare to Copy LinkCopy Link
To apply, visit
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3925011
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.