Augustana has multiple openings for Residence Hall Directors. Residence Hall Directors serve as members of the Residence Life team within the division of Student Affairs, providing leadership and support to a dedicated, creative, and dynamic staff with responsibility for leading a comprehensive student life program. Residence Hall Directors provide ongoing support and supervision to students and staff; participate in social and educational program development; support the University’s mission, vision, and core values; and collaborate with other departments and divisions to provide excellent service.
Residence Hall Director positions are 12-month, full-time, live-in positions within the Residence Life department.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Residence Hall Directors will be responsible for the supervision of one residence hall, for staffing and programmatic needs. Residence halls house 250 to 450 students, depending on location and provide opportunities to work with students in themed communities specific to service, vocation and faith, flexible housing, and first-year students.
- Manage one co-ed residence hall of 50 to 250 students each.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate student staff.
- Facilitate building management, to include administration of check-in and checkout processes, communication of facility needs, room changes, roommate mediation, and key administration.
- Provide direction to student staff in the development and implementation of programming designed to foster academic success, career exploration, wellness, diversity, community service, community building and development, and leadership development.
- Be visible and available to students and staff.
- Work with Director of Student Conduct for incidents that occur in university housing facilities.
- Oversee programming and manage budget.
- Maintain office hours for residence hall.
- Serve as a source of support and intervention for students experiencing personal and interpersonal difficulties.
- Serve as on-scene response for the larger Residential Education program on-call rotation.
- Assess student needs and make referrals to appropriate offices and services.
- Collaterals will be assigned based on experience and specific needs for the academic year
- Examples include:
- Early Alert (EARS) case management.
- Training/selection/recruitment of student staff.
- Residential education and programming model
- Mental health programming and support
- Housing - apartment & theme house communities
- Assist and support Residence Life staff in achieving the goals of the department.
- Represent Residence Life & Student Affairs at university functions, programs, activities, and events.
- Serve as a member of University committees as assigned.
- Collaborate on the development of department-wide assessment plans.
- Manage summer projects, such as summer housing, camps, and conferences.
- Availability for some additional evening, weekend, and holiday needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful candidates will possess a theoretical and practical knowledge of student development, its application within a residential environment, and a demonstrated ability to encourage and support diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to articulate the value of a residential experience to students, staff, faculty, and parents.
- Ability to create conditions that are accepting of differences regardless of gender, race, religion, abilities, class, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and political affiliation.
- Experience with crisis intervention and conflict management.
- Practical knowledge of program evaluation and assessment of learning outcomes.
- Ability to effectively communicate using oral, written, and electronic communication.
- A Master's degree is preferred
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
Benefits: Augustana offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, a retirement plan, tuition assistance, volunteer time off, holiday, vacation and sick pay.
Application Procedure: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should complete an Augustana University employment application, provide a cover letter, statement of diversity, resume and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references. Application materials are to be sent electronically to: email@example.com.