UC San Diego
SALES & EVENT DEVELOPMENT ANALYST
Salary Range: $26.77 - $31.60 / Hour
This position offers a hybrid work arrangement, 3 days of onsite and 2 days of remote work.
The Sales and Event Development Analyst is independently responsible for the sales and management of Conference business which includes tracking and analyzing sales trends and patterns and their effect on revenue, development of strategic sales plans, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and event coordination for assigned conferences. Ensures inventory management, meeting space, housing, and dining for assigned conferences. Represents Conference Services to clients and potential clients and will be responsible for sales and marketing of all Hospitality and Conference Services products, including conference services, meeting planning services, and developmental programming. The incumbent will assist the Associate Director of Conference Services in developing contracts and manuals. Negotiates event arrangements and independently manages and executes on-site events.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with over 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees, and an annual operating budget greater than $200 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 18,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff, and their families in over 400 buildings covering over 8 million sq. ft. HDH is implementing an aggressive building plan which added 10,000 new beds in the next ten years and will almost double our square footage by 2032.
HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 65% by 2032. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, retail food service, conference services, and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
Housing/Dining/Hospitality commits to facilitating an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment, fostering a sense of belonging for our students and staff. As HDH, we understand that each unique individual with varied thoughts and experiences is what makes our department strong. Aligning with UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion strategic goals, Housing/Dining/Hospitality is proud to promote and create opportunities for greater equity, diversity, and inclusiveness within our division.
• Demonstrated analytical and written communication skills. Proven interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, including knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage to write accurate and grammatically correct reports and communicate effectively with staff, customers, vendors, and other departments. Skill and knowledge to accurately provide general and specific information to various individuals at various levels.
• A minimum of three to five (3 - 5) years of experience in hospitality sales or hotel experiences such as conference planning and sales, catering, special events, meeting planning, and marketing.
• Skill in using computer software and hardware such as word processing, e-mail, database, and spreadsheet software. Prefer ability to use Word, Outlook, Excel and numerous financial analysis software.
• Demonstrated skills in event and media activities management. Skill in providing leadership and work direction to service staff, including organizing and delegating tasks, training, and monitoring work while maintaining quality control standards and meeting deadlines.
• Excellent customer service skills. Ability to communicate in a helpful, pleasant, and informative manner to a wide variety of people, both in person, via electronic means, and on the telephone. Ability to effectively handle heavy telephone volume.
• Effective interpersonal communication and political acumen skills. Skill in negotiating, including listening and persuasion skills, to reach compromise among people with different points of view and close sales.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize job functions, meet deadlines, ensure smooth workflow, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
• Mathematical and accounting skills to ensure proper billing procedures, interpret financial data, weekly reports, and the General Campus Ledger, and make recommendations and proposals.
• Knowledge and ability to maintain the confidentiality of required client and personnel files and records.
• Working knowledge of the organization, including its achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives, and infrastructure.
• Working knowledge of the organization's products and services and related industries.
• Proficient knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• Overtime may be required.
• A valid California Driver's License and a good driving record is required.
• Vacation may not be taken between June 1 and September 15.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community - https://ucsd.edu/about/principles.html.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html