Closing Date: Until Filled
POSITION TITLE: Chemistry Instructor /Analytical Laboratory Director
LOCATION: Sitting Bull College
Fort Yates, ND
SALARY: Faculty PhD Level
($49,900 – $58,900)
SUPERVISION: Academic Dean
SUMMARY OF WORK: Responsible for providing instruction in Chemistry and Environmental Science, mentor/advise students; supervise work/research activities of students in the Environmental Science program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and teach courses in Chemistry and Environmental science. Expertise in areas such as analytical chemistry, biochemistry, soil chemistry, biogeochemistry or water quality will receive preference.
- Promote and recruit students for the BS and MS degree programs in Environmental Science.
- Maintain various reports such as attendance, grades, and other reports as required by administration.
- Evaluate student performance and assign appropriate grades. Participate in student assessment activities.
- Update and maintain curriculum and course syllabi as needed.
- Complete yearly program assessments.
- Mentor and advise students in the BS and MS degree programs in Environmental Science. Maintain an advisee file for each student.
- Oversee the SBC analytical chemistry laboratory and technical staff as laboratory director.
- Serve as lead for Water Science related research activities at the SBC Prairie Ecosystems Research Center (PERC), an NSF-TCUP-TEA CENTER funded center of research excellence.
- Coordinate the establishment of a successful research program in the analytical chemistry laboratory at SBC. Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment for the lab.
- Develop appropriate laboratory modules and activities in the area of analytical chemistry to be used as training materials for student researchers, laboratory technicians, and the public.
- Mentor students in developing and completing undergraduate and graduate research projects, specifically in the area of water science.
- Establish and hold program advisory committee meetings.
- Must communicate effectively with others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Academic Dean.
- Provide friendly, helpful customer service to students, clients and visitors.
- Attend all scheduled college functions and meetings as required.
- Serve on assigned SBC committees.
- Promote and participate in student and community activities.
- Promote and recruit students for Sitting Bull College.
- PhD in Chemistry or associated area preferred. The position can be available as a Post-Doctoral position or for graduate students in Atmospheric Science who are at the dissertation stage of their degree program.
- Experience teaching courses in Chemistry preferred or willingness to teach these classes and classes in associated subject areas.
- A willingness to work with federal and tribal programs.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Willingness to teach at least one evening class per week.
New hires are subject to Tribal background check and pre-employment drug/alcohol
testing. Must be drug free. AA * EEO * M * F * B Employer.
Please submit: Cover letter, resume, official transcripts, 3 current reference letters signed
and dated (1 from recent supervisor), certificate of Indian blood (if applicable), copy
of Social Security Card & Valid driver’s license & SBC Background check to:
Personnel Office Sitting Bull College 9299 HWY 24 Fort Yates, ND 58538 (701)854-8004
Any applicant not having the above documents enclosed will not be considered.