The Director runs Montana Votes and Montana Voices, providing vision and leadership to facilitate collective action between partner organizations. With support from national affiliates and in-state partner organizations, the Director oversees development and execution of strategically coordinated annual state plans that maximize the priorities, resources and effectiveness of all partners, and reduce duplication of efforts in the areas of civic engagement, voter outreach, persuasion, and turnout. The Director identifies resources for Montana’s political and civic engagement programs, manages 2-4 staff and vendors, facilitates regular meetings of the Montana Votes and Montana Voices coalitions, maintains strong relationships with key allies, and serves as the representative for the MT Voices and Votes coalitions in national settings and where otherwise appropriate. Finally, the Director is responsible for the smooth operations of both Montana Votes and Montana Voices, including budgeting, Leadership Team management, and organizational development.
The Director reports to the Leadership Team, made up of three members from the Montana Votes coalition, three members of the Montana Voices coalition, and one standing position for the C3 fiscal sponsor.
- Provide Strategic Vision & Facilitation of Coalition Program: In collaboration with the Table staff, plan and facilitate regular meetings of the Montana Votes and Montana Voices coalitions to create, negotiate, and share annual plans as well as progress toward collective goals; Work with partners to identify programmatic gaps, collaboratively design and execute statewide voter education and political plans to achieve long-term priorities, and monitor progress toward goals; Evaluate program outcomes and provide suggestions for improved effectiveness; Identify opportunities and advocate for effective cross-partner programs; Actively collaborate with national affiliates (America Votes & State Voices) and work to identify new potential national partners.
- Budgeting & Fundraising: Develop and execute an annual budget to implement annual plans; Develop corresponding fundraising plan; Collaborate with A Better Big Sky donor alliance to align resources to key program goals; Work with America Votes and State Voices to identify national funding opportunities; Manage grants and identify, cultivate and steward institutional & individual donor relationships.
- Administration & Management: Manage staff – currently a Data Manager, Voting Rights Coordinator, and Leadership Development and Candidate Recruitment Coordinator – to ensure that staff provides quality work products to Montana Votes and Montana Voices partners; Work with the Leadership Team to develop and implement governance documents, organizational operating plans, operational budgets and joint-program budgets, fundraising plans to reach those budgets, and meeting agendas; Work with Table vendors as needed; Represent the Montana Voices and Votes coalition at appropriate national and in-state meetings.
The successful candidate will have the following background and abilities, which include:
- Demonstrated ability to independently prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously while also successfully working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, build consensus and strategically disagree, while creating a shared space between all partners in a team environment, regardless of budget size or political power.
- Demonstrated ability to manage 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and PAC programing while maintaining legal compliance.
- Experience in staff management and field program management.
- A working knowledge of federal, legislative, and electoral processes.
- Experience managing relationships with vendors.
- Experience cultivating both individual & institutional donors & successfully raising funds for an organization or campaign.
- A self-starter, willing to work occasional nights and weekends and to travel as needed.
- Personal commitment to dismantling practices and structures that perpetuate systems of inequity.
These qualities are not required, but will make a candidate’s transition into the position more successful.
- Experience working with a State Voices or America Votes table or similar coalition structure.
- Experience working in and/or familiarity with the Montana political community.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and the Voter Activation Network.
- 3-6 years of campaign and/or nonprofit management experience.
This is a full-time, salaried position preferably based in Montana. The salary range is commensurate with experience, from $65,000-80,000 per year. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, flex time, sabbatical, employer-paid health and dental insurance, a cell phone stipend, ongoing professional development, and retirement options.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a copy of your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Amara Reese-Hansell, Chair of the Hiring Committee, at email@example.com with “MT Table Director” in the subject line. Applications must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, January 31, 2022.
Montana Votes and Montana Voices are equal opportunity employers. We especially encourage people of color, Indigenous people, LGBTQ2S+ people, women, and people with disabilities to apply.