Job Title: Academic Dean
Reports To: President
Status: Full-time/ Regular/ Exempt
Salary: 77,000 annual (DOE)
SUMMARY: The Dean is responsible for leading the academic division, including full-time and adjunct faculty in the delivery of a variety of academic programs including Tohono O’odham Studies, Business, Life Science, IT, Mathematics, Early Childhood, Teacher Education, and Liberal Arts. Responsibilities include leading the faculty in development and evaluation of academic programs and courses, reviewing, providing input into, and overseeing curriculum processes as well as ensuring that the Academic Division is on track for continuous improvement and accreditation. The Dean must be ready to assume a heavy workload and to be an academic leader. The successful candidate will need to be ready to lead a diverse group of faculty in the pursuit of indigenizing the academy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages and directs the implementation of academic programs;
- Ensures course syllabi follow the prescribed template, academic and course schedules are created in a timely fashion with requisite input from key parties;
- Mentor and motivate instructors to include support for professional development;
- Manage academic advising;
- Participate in strategic planning and lead efforts for continuous improvement;
- Support the efforts of the Faculty Senate to address matters involving curriculum, professional development, and assessment of student learning;
- Be able to credibly lead the effort to indigenize the academy at a tribal college;
- Lead the faculty in fulfilling the requirements for robust assessment of student learning, program review, and other processes integral to student success;
- Work with Registrar’s Office on grade audits, transfer of credits and course substitutions;
- Support the T-Ṣo:ṣon (Our Core Values) including T-Wohocudadag – Our Beliefs, T-Apedag – Our Well-Being, T-Pi:k Elida – Our Deepest Respect and I-We:mta – Working Together
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- three or more years of experience in an institution of higher education, including two years of supervisory or management experience.
- A combination of a Master’s degree or higher plus experience in higher education will also be considered.
Additional Consideration May Be Given To Individuals with the Following Qualifications:
- Ability to speak and understand O’odham and/or Spanish.
- Knowledge and understanding of the history and contemporary issues facing Native peoples.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s license with no DUI's or major traffic offences within the past three years.
- Must successfully pass a background check and finger print clearance.
- Management and supervisory principles, practices, and techniques;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and statutes;
- Research methods;
- Policy and procedure development practices;
- Budgeting principles;
- Requirements for continued accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission;
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems (SIS) and Learning Management systems (LMS) such as Jenzabar and Canvas.
- Program management;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Develop and monitor budgets;
- Monitor and evaluate the work of faculty and other reporting staff;
- Lead the faculty in implementation of the College’s strategic plan.