Accounts Payable Specialist (FT, 12 months)
Opening Date: November 10, 2021
Review Date: November 22, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Lummi Main Campus
Salary: $51,157.00 Max DOE
The salary placement upon hire is based on the selected candidate's education and relevant work experience as outlined in the job announcement and the established salary schedule for the classification of position to be filled.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Accounts Payable Specialist is an essential position and this person processes all accounts payable for the College and the Northwest Indian College Foundation. The AP Specialist will advise students, employees and vendors of accounting policies and procedures; verify necessary backup documentation; produce checks as necessary; and work with vendors and College staff to ensure invoices are paid in a timely manner. The AP Specialist assures that all Accounts Payable documents required for Uniform Guidance and annual audit are properly maintained and available. The person in this position is fully-qualified to handle assigned undertakings with a minimum of supervision and direction at a level exemplified by the typical work described within this specification. This position serves as backup for the Payroll Specialist and general reception in the Business Office when necessary. The position also requires strict adherence to confidentiality and professionalism, given the sensitive nature of daily activities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must have knowledge of accounting functions and principals as well as GAAP (generally accepted accounting practices).
- Will become familiar with NWIC Procurement Policy and 2 CFR 200 Uniform Guidance.
- Responsible for intake of AP documents and return of any incomplete documents to the department for edits/corrections.
- Responsible for preparation of invoices, as well as timely daily entry.
- Track all payments and expenditures (e.g., purchase orders, invoices and statements).
- Receive, review, and check work in accordance with procedure, and ensure accuracy of approval signatures and account codes.
- Balance statements and ensure that all payments are made to vendors on a timely basis.
- Request invoice copies, follow up with signatures, and investigate to ensure no double payments are processed and that the request is complete.
- Responsible for SAM.gov disbarment/suspended reporting (System Award Management).
- Follow up on inquiries from vendors and and staff.
- Report feedback and suggestions to direct supervisor for changes to Financial Manual policy and procedures as it pertains to Accounts Payable related duties and responsibilities.
- Process all check requests submitted to Accounts Payable within three working Investigate discrepancies and correct errors.
- Submit daily checks to General Ledger Accountant for review and approval by the daily deadline.
- Ensure timely payment of all regular lease payments and utilities for the College.
- Verify and issue various employee reimbursements (such as, cell phone, internet, mileage, etc.) in compliance with relevant policy and procedures.
- Responsible for issuing timely payments on behalf of NWIC and Foundation credit card payments.
- Assist with travel payments as needed.
- Process payroll advances along with the Payroll Technician.
- Assist with internal, external, and governmental audits.
- Maintain complete and orderly filing system that allows others to access and find documents quickly.
- Maintain positive working relationships with contractors, vendors and all employees as related to Accounts A strong focus on providing a high level of customer service to everyone is expected in this position.
- Receive cross training and serve as back up to the Payroll Technician, as needed, with direction and approval of supervisor.
- Responsible for creating standard operating procedures for AP Specialist in effort to promote cross training with others to be able to perform any of the position duties.
- May operate a variety of office machines, calculators, and utilize computer applications for word processing and spreadsheet development for reports.
- Perform related duties as required by the Chief Financial Officer.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities. The AP Specialist is responsible for providing training to at least one back up for AP support as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED to perform this position successfully:
- High School Graduate or GED
- Two-year degree in relevant background
- Two years’ experience in accounting field and customer service field
- Must have two years directly related experience as an Accounts Payable Technician
- Proven ability to work in a team environment in order to achieve strategic and departmental goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with people
- Bachelor’s degree or course study in related accounting field
- Experience working in a College setting and team environment
- Knowledge of and experience with a tribal College system
- Experience with and sensitivity to Native American people and cultural customs
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must be flexible and able to multi-task
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Must have critical thinking skills and abilities
- Must have strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Cloud backup, etc.)
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to organize, plan and carry out assignments as directed
- Have ability to work in a team environment as well as with all departments and agencies inside and outside NWIC
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are
available online at www.nwic.edu/about-nwic/employment
or may be requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278