The Service Desk Manager is a working manager responsible for leading a team of staff focused on providing technical support to the entire CWU campus community. This position also serves as the senior technical resource for the Service Desk to assist in troubleshooting issues, providing support coverage when team members are absent and during times of high call volume, and monitoring incoming calls during off-hours (weekends, evenings, and holidays). The Service Desk Manager also serves as the Change Management Manager for the IS Change Management process, and Incident Manager for the IS Incident Management process. All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
Service Desk Management
- Responsible for ensuring excellent customer service, coordinating timely support resolutions, performing request fulfilment, and for appropriately communicating IS initiatives to Service Desk staff and customers
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests
- Manage department budget, create and maintain forecasts, and ensure spending does not exceed revenue. Identify opportunities for cost savings and/or new investments
- Actively engages in recruiting, evaluating, and developing staff
- Leads a performance culture through appraisals and other coaching
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader
- Takes corrective action or recognizes exceptional performance in a timely manner
- Promotes professional development opportunities
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results
- Communicates regularly with campus departments about IS resources and department support needs; act as an advocate for the campus community within IS
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community
- Establish, manage, track, and report the daily metrics on all incidents and requests coming through the Service Desk
- Establish, manage, track, and report on service/organization level agreements related to IS services
- Identify opportunities for the Service Desk to improve its ability to resolve incidents and fulfill requests without escalating to other IS teams; work with IS leadership to transition responsibilities to the Service Desk as appropriate
- Differentiate between incidents and problems, inform appropriate technical teams when problems are identified, and coordinate problem resolution
Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, service desk tickets, email, or chat regarding technical incidents or campus support coordination. Provide critical support for end-user technology. Provide technical assistance to faculty, staff, and students
- Make decisions on which tier support can respond and handle a service request, project or incident
- Takes ownership of unresolved technical issues, and escalates as necessary
- Operate a telephone system, route calls and provide outstanding support over the telephone
- Maintain technical skills and ability to support new technologies
- Identify, maintain, and support tools to enable remote assistance (including Remote Desktop, SCCM/MECM, VNC, Teams, Zoom, etc.)
- Act as Change Manager for the IS Change Management process using ITIL best practices
- Administration of the Change Management module in CWU's ITSM system
- Lead weekly IS Change Advisory Board (CAB) meetings and coordinate the change approval process
- Manage and administer the emergency change process
- Establish defined standard and normal changes; ensure changes occur using prescribed methods and processes
- Monitor IS change activity to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; communicate compliance and non-compliance metrics to leadership
- Administration of the CWU IT Service Management system, TeamDynamix
- Maintain awareness of competing ITSM platforms, propose changes as appropriate or necessary
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating the IS Service Catalog
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating an effective IS Knowledge Base
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating reports, self-service forms, service level agreements, and automations
- Collaborate with internal teams in IS to ensure that the platform configuration and processes support organizational needs, and build customer requirements and design documentation for enhancements on the platform
- Responsible for user interface design and administration to maintain and/or improve usability
- Identify and champion opportunities for user self-service options through the platform, decreasing the number of calls, emails, and tickets submitted by users
- Coordinate platform upgrades with vendor and internal stakeholders
- Work with other departments at CWU (HR, FMD, etc.) to identify opportunities to leverage the ITSM tool for other functions and implement as appropriate
- Responsible for the effective implementation of the Incident Management process and carries out the corresponding reporting using ITIL best practices.
- Administration of the Incident module in CWU's ITSM system
- Act as first stage of escalation for incidents when not resolved within agreed service levels.
Other duties as assigned
- Five (5) years' related work experience, with a minimum of 2 years as a manager of staff
- Technical experience with high-volume, mission-critical applications and systems
- Experience administering an enterprise-level ITSM platform
- Working level knowledge of ITIL v3 (or later) processes and best practices
- Experience defining, developing, and reporting SLAs, OLAs, metrics, and KPIs related to Service Desk operations
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations.
- Experience providing effective and efficient customer service
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently on tasks and monitor progress against defined parameters
- Experience working in an environment with a formal change management process
- OR any combination of education and experience which clearly demonstrates the ability to accomplish the essential functions of the job.
- BA/BS from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in business operations/management information systems, computer science or related field
- ITIL Foundations and/or advanced ITIL certifications
- Work experience in a higher education environment
- Experience administering the TeamDynamix or ServiceNow ITSM platform
- A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment.
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU's commitment to inclusion and diversity.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $71,748 - $89,685 annually
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch), hours may vary
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: https://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please visit https://careers.cwu.edu and search for Job ID 4250. You will be required to complete the online application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Michael Marchand
Title: Director, Enterprise Technology Services
Website: CWU Information Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.