The University of Minnesota Morris is seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Multicultural Recruitment. This is a 100% time, 12 month position.
The Office of Admissions is the primary source of information about the University of Minnesota Morris for prospective students, their families, and school counselors. The office recruits and admits students and facilitates connections to the University community. In addition, it represents and markets the campus through electronic communications and printed brochures and material regarding all phases of the institution and its policies and programs. As part of a new collaboration, this position recruits for both the University of Minnesota Morris and the University of Minnesota Crookston.
Purpose of the Position
Reporting to the UMN Morris Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director of Multicultural Recruitment (ADMR) is responsible for strategic planning and oversight of the university’s efforts to identify, recruit, evaluate and enroll students who are traditionally underserved in higher education, and will work with campus collaborators in implementing this work on the UMN Morris campus. As part of a new collaboration, this position includes managing a recruitment territory that includes recruitment for both UMN Morris and UMN Crookston. This role has the potential of being regionally based.
The ADMR will provide leadership in recruitment and outreach efforts for racial and ethnic populations traditionally underrepresented in higher education for the Office of Admissions at the Morris campus, working collaboratively with partners across campus. The ADMR will cultivate relationships with key constituents, including prospective students, parents and guardians, high school counselors, community leaders, secondary school teachers and administrators, and community-based organizations. The ADMR is responsible for ensuring the enrollment of a strong, qualified pool of academically prepared, ethnically diverse students in support of the university’s overall enrollment goals.
This role includes managing a recruitment territory that includes recruitment for both UMN Morris and UMN Crookston.
The ADMR will demonstrate a deep commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and will ensure the operational effectiveness of multicultural recruitment efforts. The ADMR will assist with developing and implementing a personalized, high-impact, and comprehensive recruitment program. This position is an integral part of the Office of Admissions leadership team charged with achieving recruitment and enrollment success.
- Lead the design and execution of a recruitment plan that is tailored to the outreach and recruitment for racial and ethnic populations traditionally underrepresented in higher education, including BIPOC students.
- Strategize, coordinate and execute a college recruitment management plan that applies an effective hybrid mix of in-person and virtual recruitment, over-the-phone communication, and other methods of relationship building within multicultural communities.
- Build and manage relationships with key external stakeholders, including prospective students, parents and guardians, high school counselors, community leaders, secondary school teachers and administrators, with specific focus on multicultural outreach.
- Provide and lead training workshops to current admissions staff on best practices to most effectively serve diverse student populations.
- Engage with internal and external diversity-related organizations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations to advance UMN Morris and UMN Crookston diversity strategies. Proactively recruit top students to UMN Morris and UMN Crookston within an assigned geographic market, and represent the campuses at high school and community presentations and college fairs in Minnesota and surrounding states.
- Plan and participate in recruitment and enrollment activities, including: managing a recruitment territory, attending open houses, regional presentations, orientation programs, regional and national college fairs, and scholarship days.
- Meet with prospective students and parents to provide individual counseling on educational options and alternatives.
- Independently review applications and make admission recommendations based on academic requirements and program choice compatibility.
- Model and promote respect and effective partnerships in advancing both campus’s efforts to build inclusive, respectful campus communities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Four years of progressive responsibility in undergraduate admissions and recruitment or related experience.
- A demonstrated understanding and strong commitment to the value of a liberal arts education.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, with an active understanding of current issues and challenges facing individuals representing diverse backgrounds.
- A demonstrated track record of success in achieving stated outcomes.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (including verbal, written, and presentation).
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Valid driver's license; ability to work nights and weekends and travel as needed.
- Five years of progressive responsibility in undergraduate admissions and recruitment or related experience in a higher-education setting.
- A master’s degree is preferred.
Apply online at https://z.umn.edu/WorkAtMorris, Job ID#341055. Complete the online application and attach a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.