Facilities Maintenance Director (F/T, 12 months)
Opening Date: March 26, 2021
Review Date: Extended to May 10, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: ASAP or 2 weeks after acceptance
Location: Lummi main campus
Salary: $60,377 Max DOE
The salary placement upon hire will be based on the selected candidate’s education and relevant work experience as outlined in the job announcement and the established salary schedule for the classification of the position to be filled.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Facilities Maintenance Director is accountable for directly overseeing the custodial and maintenance functions under the general direction of the Vice President of Campus Development and Administrative Services. The essential functional areas included in these accountabilities are:
- Organize and direct all custodial and maintenance activities related to the achievement of the College's Strategic Plan, under the general direction of the Vice President of Campus Development and Administrative Services.
- Directly prepare and recommend to the College's Administrative Team a facilities and maintenance plan that envisions the future needs and requirements of the main campus departments.
- Assure compliance by facilities maintenance employees with College, tribal and federal policies and procedures in the administration of safety plans and programs, as well as all facilities and maintenance activities necessary to conduct College
- Ensure compliance with safety and facilities maintenance policies, requirements and
- Oversee purchase of equipment, tools and supplies for preventative maintenance schedules and repairs, as well as general daily events and activities of department.
- Plan, direct and supervise facilities maintenance projects and monitor/report progress of assigned projects, as appropriate, including direct and/or perform a variety of repairs and clean ups in the areas of custodial and general
- Oversee work of vendors and suppliers performing work on college facilities and/or equipment, including vendor contract specifications for
- Manage and resolve facilities and maintenance related issues, as appropriate, including after hours or on
- Seek future funding through writing and submitting grants to fulfill the strategic plans and goals of the facilities maintenance department, which may include the addition of technical
- Hire, orient/train and supervise Facilities Maintenance Department personnel, including vehicle maintenance, groundskeepers, maintenance workers and custodial
- Maintain effective liaison relationships with college administrators, faculty and staff, as well as outside vendors and
- Participate as a member of the NWIC Emergency Management Team and be responsible for functions outlined in the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct research as necessary to keep informed and assist in keeping the College current in the facilities maintenance
- Make any recommendations for approval by the Vice President of Campus Development and Administrative Services to be presented to the Administrative Team on facilities maintenance projects and
- Plan for, schedule and coordinate facilities maintenance activities to ensure that the needs of the various departments are
- Respond to complex facilities maintenance systems malfunctions, including making appropriate decisions and providing appropriate
- Work with various external vendors and equipment suppliers to obtain the equipment needed for facilities maintenance installation and repairs; monitor equipment inventory and place orders when necessary; monitor expenses and control the maintenance budget; manage relationships with contractors and service
- Procure and manage outsource contracts and supplies through a competitive process in coordination with Purchasing (Finance Department), as
- Oversee and/or directly prepare bid specifications and coordinate equipment purchases with Purchasing (Finance Department).
- Prepare recommended policies governing the proper use of facilities maintenance.
- Conduct periodic inspections on a regular basis to determine custodial and maintenance services needs and extent of service required, as well as services to be performed by department personnel and/or external vendors.
- Review requests for facilities maintenance assistance and ensure that acquisitions and replacements of facilities equipment are functionally correct.
- Obtain and review reports Facilities Maintenance personnel on the progress and current state of systems and projects; ensure the proper completion of maintenance logs and report on department activities.
- Provide consulting support for departments on safety, equipment and space needs. Coordinate this work with department budget preparation process.
- Ensure that facilities maintenance employees have necessary tools and supplies to safety and effectively perform their job duties and that they are in working order; develop custodial and maintenance procedures and ensure implementation; ensure health and safety policies are complied with.
- Provide technical training to facilities maintenance employees, as needed.
- Function as supervisor to the Facilities Maintenance Department personnel, including allocation of staff, assignment of work, time and leave approval and reporting, as well as provide opportunities for training to enhance skills and keep up-to-date on changes in college facilities.
- Act as a member of the Emergency Management Team in responding to emergency situations, including assisting emergency responders as needed.
The Facilities Maintenance Director oversees staff assigned to the Facilities Maintenance Department in accordance with the College's policies and procedures. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED to perform this position successfully:
- Bachelor's degree in a related
- Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible leadership and supervisory experience in facilities maintenance management OR Equivalent combination of education and experience in facilities maintenance management.
- Demonstrated proficiency and depth of knowledge in facilities maintenance systems, particularly multi-facilities facility and maintenance operations.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate a team to achieve directives and outcomes.
- Ability to provide a strong customer service oriented environment to students, administrators, faculty and employees.
- Ability to make decisions and implement action needed to produce the desired result.
- Experience in the development of facilities maintenance reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Building Engineer license is preferred
- Previous experience developing and executing plans for an organization at the leadership level
- Working knowledge of facilities maintenance in a higher education environment
- Previous experience working in a college setting and team environment
- Knowledge of and experience with a tribal college system
- Experience with and sensitivity to Native American people and cultural customs
- Must have a current driver's license and driving abstract that meets employer qualifications for insurability.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information with utmost discretion.
- Ability to represent the College in a positive and professional manner
- Must have excellent interpersonal/people skills and maintain professional work relationships
- Ability to work under stressful situations
- Ability to be a self-starter and sustain a high level of activity with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are available online at
or requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278