TITLE: Science Instructor
REPORTS TO: Dean of Academics
TOUR OF DUTY: Generally 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., M-F, but may require some evenings
As a faculty member, this position will perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in accordance with the mission statement and policies and procedures of the College. The candidate will be responsible for instructing assigned science courses, advising students, developing and following class syllabi, and developing and evaluating the effectiveness of class presentations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops course instruction for each class in accordance with the academic catalog.
- Develops tests and visual aids
- Participates in instructor evaluation, assessment of student academic achievement and demonstrate modification of teaching techniques in accordance with assessment feedback.
- Incorporates Dakota culture in science courses.
- Develops in-house programs and practices to identify developmental needs
- Posts and maintains office hours as specified.
- Maintains an awareness of new instructional technology and advances in teaching and learning theory, and applies where appropriate.
- Complies with all College, Tribal, and Federal policies, regulations and laws that govern the College.
- Attends and participates in professional development workshops.
- Participates on College committees and in faculty/staff meetings.
- May be required to assist with events such as, but not limited to recruitment of students in science and science enrichment activities for 3rd through 12th grades
- Master’s Degree in Science
- Previous teaching experience
- Planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Proficient with office software, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Proficient with office machinery.
- Responsible for implementing plan of work on grants that include the Science Director to ensure goals and objectives are achieved.
- Ensure reports for institutional and granting agencies are submitted tin a timely manner.
- Plan and coordinate annual SWC Science Fairs and Fun Nights for K-12th grades
- Serve as principle investigator and coordinate activities for grants that are funded.
- Applicant must be willing and able to instruct such courses as: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Anatomy, and Zoology.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to coordinate with other departments, answer public inquiries, and interact with significant and influential individuals.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality. Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Exhibits honesty and integrity.
- Works with minimal supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
Visit our website www.swcollege.edu for information on the application process and to view the job description.