Non Tenure-Track Position in Hotel & Restaurant Management. The School of Hotel & Restaurant Management (HRM) in The W.A. Franke College of Business (FCB) at Northern Arizona University (NAU) invites applications for one full-time, non-tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Practice/Lecturer with a focus in hospitality management to begin in August 2021. This position will be located in the Phoenix/Scottsdale Valley area, with a campus NAU HRM office location to be determined. Occasional travel to NAU’s Flagstaff campus.
- Teach up to 12 credit hours of undergraduate courses in each of the fall and spring semesters; possible opportunity to teach in summer and winter for additional income. Typically, this will entail teaching in hospitality management courses to be worked out with the Executive Director of HRM.
- Work with the NAU Office of Admissions to actively recruit students from Phoenix and Southern Arizona area high schools and community colleges.
- Increase enrollment and elevate HRM’s exposure in Maricopa County with the potential to visit other locations statewide by interfacing with various stakeholders (e.g., hospitality businesses, associations, community colleges and high schools).
- Enhance the HRM program including student internship programs by working closely with industry, inviting industry practitioners as guest speakers to classes, and engaging in community outreach.
- Participate in HRM, FCB, and NAU service activities and engage in a program of intellectual or professional development activities to maintain faculty qualification in accordance with FCB and AACSB guidelines.
- Graduate degree (master’s degree, or higher) from an ACPHA or AACBS accredited institution preferred with a concentration in hospitality management/administration, foodservice/restaurant management, food & beverage management, or a related field (e.g., MBA).
- Either a minimum of five years professional experience related to hospitality management or a minimum of two years of professional experience and one year full-time teaching (or the equivalent number of part-time courses) at the college level in hospitality management, foodservice/restaurant management, or related topics.
- Ability to meet AACSB academic or professional qualification requirements http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/business/standards/2013/academic-and-professional-engagement/standard15.asp
- Earned Doctorate in Hospitality Management or closely related discipline.
- Willingness and ability to teach in hospitality management area, lodging management, foodservice management, or related courses at the undergraduate level.
- Prior experience teaching hospitality management, foodservice management, event management, lodging operations, or related courses, at the undergraduate level.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching as documented by a pattern of strong teaching evaluations.
- Demonstrated evidence of currency in the hospitality industry.
- Five years of professional hospitality management experience (lodging operation, foodservice/restaurant operations experience preferred) or upper-level management experience (director of lodging operations or in the above industry segments) in the hospitality industry.
- Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of secondary and community colleges in Maricopa County that offer hospitality/culinary programs.
- Ability to recruit qualified and enthusiastic students for NAU’s HRM.
We will begin reviewing applications April 14, 2021. This position will be open until filled or closed.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy #605307, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Your application must be submitted online to be reviewed and should include: (1) a cover letter addressing the job description and preferred qualifications, (2) a current resume’ or curriculum vitae, (3) recent teaching evaluations (if applicable), and (4) contact information for at least three professional references including mailing and email addresses, and phone numbers. Please attach all documents in one PDF file.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Questions regarding this position can be directed to the Co-Chair of the Search Committee:
Dr. Soyeon Jung
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. Form A-1 Revised 2/05