(FT, 12 months)
Opening Date: February 19, 2021
Review Date: March 5, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Lummi main campus
Salary: $63,430 Max DOE
The salary placement upon hire is based on the selected candidate's education and relevant work experience as outlined in the job announcement and the established salary schedule for the classification of position to be filled.
SCOPE OF WORK
This position requires sufficient accounting skills to work in all phases of General Accounting and responsibilities. Individual will be responsible for working with and assisting in the maintenance of our accounting system with proper documentation of processes and procedure. This position will work closely with NWIC Leadership to ensure NWIC complies with all documentation and procedural requirements of outside granting agencies/entities.
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the principal person for the annual financial audit process.
- Delegation of authority for Chief Financial Officer during any absence or leave.
- Maintain General Ledger (assign accounts; determine procedures for new items, data integrity, balancing, reconciliation).
- Provide consultation and budgeting assistance to all managers and budget authorities.
- Conduct monthly and yearly close (journal entries and Jenzabar data base requirements).
- Assist with the preparation of monthly management financial statements.
- Prepare reports for Program Managers on a regular and as needed.
- Post JLs, RCs and train / audit all other entries into the data base as needed.
- Maintain General Ledger budget maintenance.
- Assist with Cash Flow management.
- Assist in NWIC annual budget process.
Direct supervision of payroll, accounts payable, purchasing and receiving under the guidance and consent of the Chief Financial Officer and consistent with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and solving problems
QUALIFICATIONS to perform the position successfully:
- BA in business or accounting required, with five years of accounting experience
- Five years of demonstrated supervisory experience of more than 3 employees
- Must be computer literate with specific Excel spreadsheet skills
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reports - producing, generating and defining
- Knowledge of and successful experience in general ledger accounting
- Knowledge of fund accounting
- Knowledge of and successful experience in internal auditing processes, including full knowledge with establishing and maintaining internal controls
- Must possess effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ten years of successful experience in fund accounting
- Experience working in a college setting/team environment
- Experience with the Jenzabar accounting system
- Experience with and sensitivity to Native American people and cultural customs
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are available online at www.nwic.edu/jobs or may be requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278