Custodian (FT, 12 months)
Opening Date: September 2, 2020
Review Date: September 17, 2020
Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: Lummi Main Campus
Salary: $28,274 annual / $13.59 per hour
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of the Director of Facilities Maintenance, the Custodian performs custodial service in the cleaning, disinfecting and the sanitation of NWIC facilities. The job requires a variety of custodial duties which include cleaning and maintaining floors, walls and windows.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean and disinfect bathrooms, sinks, toilets, mirrors, sweep and mop floors, check all dispensers (soap, paper towels and toilet paper), empty
- Clean and maintain floors, walls, windows, carpets, furniture, chalk boards,
- Sweep, mop, wax and polish floors; vacuum and shampoo carpets; dust and polish
- Collect and empty wastebaskets; clean trash disposal containers as
- Clean mirrors, blinds, light fixtures, windows, doors and
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Ensure that necessary supplies are available and report to Director of Facilities Maintenance when supplies are low to ensure timely
- Ability to lift 50
- Lock and unlock buildings; secure building when facilities are not in use by checking for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of the position.
The physical demands described in this job announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient clarity of hearing which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, telephones, and safety
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation which permit the employee to distinguish safety issues pertaining to the required maintenance
- Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate a variety of power equipment and hand equipment and to make mechanical/maintenance adjustments to equipment.
- Sufficient strength to lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs. for varying distances, maneuver power equipment, stand for periods of time up to three to four hours and to adapt to and move between work stations and job
- Sufficient body flexibility and balance to perform maintenance tasks which require repeated bending and stooping motions, including climbing and working on
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes which permit employee to work in areas with only artificial light, to work within tightly enclosed areas such as crawl spaces, attics, and to work while exposed to unpleasant odors and with allergenic substances such as cleaning solutions and dust.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The duties of this position will typically be performed in both indoor and outdoor environments. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
There are no supervisory responsibilities assigned to this position
QUALIFICATIONS to perform the position successfully:
Required Education, Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- A High School Diploma or
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and standard practices of cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining
- Knowledge of preparation, use and disposal of chemical cleaning
- Ability to establish work priorities and assign work orders, materials, staff equipment and other resources for timely completion of tasks.
- Ability to operate, maintain and perform minor repairs to power custodial equipment including but not limited to vacuums, buffers, carpet
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and or written
- Ability to train employees in the safe and efficient use of all cleaning equipment and supplies required for completion of work
- Ability to operate hand cleaning equipment including but not limited to brooms, dust, wet mops, squeegees, hand vacuums, dust pans and
- Ability to work
Must have and maintain throughout employment a valid Washington State driver's license and meet the insurability requirements of NWIC.
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are available online at www.nwic.edu/jobs or may be requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278