Payroll Specialist (FT, 12 months)
Opening Date: April 21, 2020
Review Date: Ongoing
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Lummi main campus
Salary: $48,357 Max DOE
The salary placement upon hire will be based on the selected candidate's education and relevant work experience as outlined in the job announcement and the established salary schedule for the classification of position to be filled.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the general supervisor of the Chief Financial Officer, the Payroll Specialist prepares and maintains payroll records, interprets varying institutional, state and federal regulations and applies to the payroll function. The Payroll Specialist works with departments to resolve the payroll complications that come to the Business Office, compiles reports that are required by NWIC and government; and ensures accuracy of reports, and takes action in correcting errors as necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Compile and compute payroll data from a variety of source documents, such as time cards, personnel action forms, contracts, insurance forms, withholding forms, etc.
- Process all Travel Advances and Closings for NWIC, making sure policies and procedures are followed.
- Report payroll taxes as required.
- Input the payroll and insurance data and perform the routine audits to ensure accuracy and compliance with employee authorizations and state/federal requirements.
- Ensure compliance with institutional, state and federal requirements in payroll procedures, computations and deductions.
- Review payroll procedures and make recommendations to improve service and accuracy.
- Coordinate with retirement and insurance officer (the Chief Financial Officer) on deduction procedures; ensure timely payment of various deductions to vendors, insurance providers, and government entities.
- Reconcile insurance billings, retirement reports, W-2 end-of-year reports, and other reports as required.
- Advise departments, business office or data processing center of procedural errors; take action on correcting the errors.
- Responsible for providing a strong focus on maintaining a high level of customer service to everyone in contact with Payroll Office is expected in this position.
There are no supervisory responsibilities assigned to this position
QUALIFICATIONS to perform the position successfully:
- One year of experience as a Fiscal Technician I or equivalent; nine quarter hours or six semester hours of college-level course work in accounting principles may substitute for six months of required experience
- Experience working in a college setting/team environment.
- Experience with and sensitivity to Native American people and cultural customers.
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials directly to the NWIC Human Resources Office only.
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the position qualifications
- NWIC Application
- NWIC Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) form
- Current and complete professional resume
- Copies of college transcripts (can submit unofficial copies at time of application)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons, who are not members of your immediate family, who have firsthand knowledge of your qualifications for the position
- If applicable to the position, provide copies of certificates/licenses/credentials
The job announcement and application forms are available online at www.nwic.edu/jobs or may be requested from and submitted directly to:
Northwest Indian College
2522 Kwina Road
Bellingham, WA 98226-9278