CLASSIFICATION EXEMPT (Supervisory/Professional Position)
REPORTS TO Dean of Academics
SUPERVISES Will supervise several professional and student workers
LAST UPDATED October 2019
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbent oversees program development and standards-setting for online learning. Leads the strategic planning process, architecting, training, and documentation for online programs. Educates faculty in best practices of online teaching. Works closely with department chairs in the development and delivery of successful online instruction.
Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to the development and assurance of quality of distance learning through the setting of standards and faculty training. Function effectively in a highly cooperative team environment which includes collaborating with faculty subject matter experts and registrar. Coordinates closely with IT to insure appropriate technology infrastructure for online instruction.
This position is responsible for all aspects of online program administration, program budgeting, faculty and student development and support, program assessment. Collaborates closely with the Marketing Director on online program marketing. Additionally provides leadership for all aspects of academic technology enhancement across academic disciplines and departments. Supports the mission, vision and core values of the IAIA.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Develops online faculty
- Responsible for course development activities and payment
- Oversees Online Learning budget
- Vision of creating online learning communities
- Develops and maintains student and faculty support functions
- In collaboration with faculty set standards of course navigation
- Oversight & support for conformance to navigation standards
- Review online course evaluations and recommend enhancements
- Create and conduct training courses
- Conduct ongoing training acculturation of faculty
- Oversee enrollment and success of faculty in 3rd party training courses
- Actively mentor faculty (particularly in the first year)
- Aid faculty adding new features to their courses and teaching techniques
- Coordinates pairing of peer mentors with new faculty
- Assist program directors/chairs specifying student training requirements
- Create and factilite student training
- Develop and maintain tutoring and other remote student support services
Maintains Faculty Support Forum
- Post regularly to promote traffic to the forum
- Monitor forum activities
Maintains Knowledge bases for Students & Faculty
- Oversees ongoing development of the knowledge base system
- Writes and updates articles
- Trains staff to contribute to the knowledge base
Assessment & Quality Assurance
- Provide oversight and academic leadership for off-campus online learning sites
- Develop and recommend distance education and enhance learning policies and procedures that are consistent with institutional policies and procedures
- Analyze educational data and generate reports for key leaders as needed
- Collaborate with IAIA Marketing Director to effectively promote distance learning programs, including the creation of promotional videos and sample courses.
- Support technology needs and distance outreach efforts of MOCNA.
- Complete other duties as required/assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Minimum of Masters degree in Educational/Instructional Technology or in a field directly related to distance learning or computer based education is required.
- Minimum of at least five (5) years management/leadership experience in Educational Technology, coordinating college level online education, including experience managing a budget, conducting project meetings, providing training in educational technology, delivering distance learning program objectives, collaborating effectively, collecting and compiling information and preparing reports.
- Must possess a strong and demonstrated understanding of instructional methodologies and learning principles as they relate to classroom and online learning.
- Requires expert proficiency with online learning hardware, software and e-learning authoring tools.
- Experience in working with Native Americans, Alaska Natives and/or diverse peoples is preferred.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: (To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following)
- Excellent and proven communication, negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Expertise and knowledge of best practices for online education and instruction.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels and with all peoples and groups.
- Proven ability to interact and work successfully with faculty, students and staff as related to job responsibilities.
- Proven ability to execute, administer and supervise direction of a program in a participatory style.
- The employee must adhere to appropriate professional standards of conduct and ethics, including confidentiality, integrity, and honesty; follow directives; cooperate and work respectfully with others; participate in meetings as required
- Ability to adapt quickly and effectively to changes in the work environment.
- Expertise and knowledge of relevant educational technologies related to distance learning.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of times, utilizing complex software on a computer work station.
- Ability to read, interpret and convey/communicate basic to very complex data/information/guidelines/ procedures, etc related to distance learning/computer-based education.
- Effective communication skills using the spoken and written word to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to see, view and/or review and wide range of information effectively.
- You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other duties.
- Your evaluation will include assessment of your performance of your job as described herein.
- Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
- The job description is not a contract for employment.