POSITION TITLE: Director of Support Services
POSITION NUMBER: 0369.3
PAY GRADE: E-7
DEPARTMENT: Support Services
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations
The Director of Support Services provides management and monitors the operational Ind fiscal
activities for: Construction, Copy Center, Employee Housing, Maintenance and Safety, and Transportation Services. Provides management to support the Mission statement, goals, and
objectives of the University, the incumbent plans, establishes and implements policies and
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Approves budget expenses up to authorized dollar amounts.
- Oversees the supervision of staff, including work allocation, scheduling, training, and
- Hosts regular staff meetings to ensure communication among personnel regarding
- Increases staff effectiveness by recruiting, hiring, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, evaluation and disciplining, and terminating personnel appropriately; communicates values, strategies, and objectives.
- Obtains, develops and maintains necessary personnel, training, and equipment to achieve
financial, operational, and compliance expectations.
- Provides oversight of construction and building projects.
- Oversees the management of excess property.
- Researches and identifies prospective grant funding to meet Mission and Goals if Navajo Technical University
- Generates and submits grant proposals and applications consistent with state annual funding goals.
- Consults with all segments of management responsible for policy or action. Ensures
compliance within area of responsibility. Makes recommendations for improving
effectiveness of policies and procedures.
- Ensures that through planning, design, construction and maintenance the highest reasonable system reliability factor is maintained.
- Provides planning, direction, interdepartmental coordination and development of new administrative procedures and policies necessary for the achievement of team goal.
- Coordinates activities of assigned components with those of other department . Seeks mutual agreement of problems involving coordination.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other departments of the Institute in establishing and carrying out responsibilities.
- Defines and recommends objectives in each area of support services operations. Develops
specific short-term and long-term plans and programs, together with supporting budget
requests and financial estimates.
- Directs, monitors, and appraises the performance units immediately reporting and provides
the necessary coordination among activities.
- Establishes objectives and procedures governing the performance of assigned activities.
- Maintains appropriate communications within area of responsibility.
- Plans, reviews, and recommends adequate plans for the control of planned output , budget
spending, labor efficiency, material efficiency, customer service, and order entry efficiency, along with human utilization.
- Reviews and approves cost control reports, and cost estimates.
- Reviews and approves major projects involving major functional changes within the Service Department functional areas.
- Reviews and approves the implementation of organization plans that support Service Department functional areas.
- Reviews performance against operating plans and standards. Provides reports to
subordinates on interpretation of results and approves changes in direction of plans.
- Selects and maintains qualified personnel in all positions reporting directly.
- Assumes other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- Ensures that duties, responsibilities, and authority and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
- Report writing as needed for grants, contracts and internal communications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Public Administration, Construction Management or related field
- Five years construction, housing, maintenance or transportation experience.
- Three years in a management capacity.
- Higher Education experience preferred.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Must be able to pass background check, with NO prior convictions of any felonies.
The Navajo Nation Preference in Employment Act applies to all hiring, promotions or transfers
of individuals into this position.